-->
"You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."
Ronald Reagan




Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Robin of Berkeley - "The Lunatics Are In My Hall"

December 3, 2010

The lunatic is on the grass
Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs
Got to keep the loonies on the path
The lunatic is in the hall
The lunatics are in my hall
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more


–Pink Floyd, Brain Damage

Everything you need to know about the progressive Left can be illuminated by a single day in Berkeley. Here’s a day-in-the-life of mine.

A few Fridays ago, I went out to the waiting room to retrieve my 3 pm psychotherapy client. I was surprised to see my client standing outside of my office. She whispered nervously that there was a street person fast asleep on the waiting room couch.

Since my client had to use the rest room, I wandered down the hall to see for myself. Sure enough, a bedraggled woman was sound asleep, a blanket strewn over her. When my client came into my office, she looked weirded out.. I reassured her that I’d take care of the situation once she left.

A few minutes before 4, I walked back down to the waiting area. Sure enough, the vagabond was still snoozing like a newborn babe (at least one who had possibly consumed copious substances). Given that I am a petite woman who lacks girth, I didn’t feel comfortable handling the situation on my own.

I decided to nab one of the men on the floor to help out. Fortunately, a podiatrist was coming out of his office, and I informed him about the unwelcome visitor. The doctor went down to look for himself, and then reiterated my finding, “Yes, she’s fast asleep out there.”

He appeared blank for a few seconds, before asking, “What would you like me to do?” I responded, “Could you please rouse her and ask her to leave?”

The doc looked at me, horrified, as though I’d requested a prescription for illegal drugs. A pained expression swept over his face, as he said, “Well, I feel bad for her. It’s really cold out there. And I don’t mind her sleeping out on our couch for a few hours.”



Now before I get a lot of flak from liberals blasting me as Scrooge, let me remind you that we’re talking about Berkeley here, not Bismarck. (Of course, Berkeley-ites complain bitterly when the temperature dips below 60 degrees.)

So it wasn’t as if this woman was going to freeze to death on our mean streets. Plus, Berkeley is a national destination site for vagrants, since we offer premier services.

I was trying really hard to be professional with my office mate, so I bit my tongue. I tried to cajole him into action: “People are starting to complain. They feel unsafe and uncomfortable. They have nowhere to sit. And it’s starting to smell out there. ”

The doctor hemmed and hawed some more. I wanted to blurt out, “Are you a man or a mouse?” Sadly, I’ve lived in these parts long enough to know the answer.

So I pulled out my trump card: “Do you really think it’s a good idea for her to spend the weekend here?” His face went sour, as he imagined what the building would look like Monday morning. Finally, the good doctor yielded a bit, “Okay, if she’s still here when I’m done at 6, I’ll make sure she leaves.”

When I went to the waiting area to get my 4 pm client, I couldn’t believe my eyes. Not only was the same woman fast asleep, but there now was a second woman, a red-head, snoozing next to her, upright.

Momentarily speechless, I retrieved my client and explained the situation to her, apologizing profusely. My client told me that the red head had just come in and apparently knew the other woman.

I was distracted during my session by the ghastly thought that the entire Berkeley homeless population may soon be camped out in our waiting area. I also had the blissful reverie about actually living in Bismarck, where, I imagine, real men are still available.

At 5 pm, I went down the hallway to check on the situation. Thank goodness, both women were gone. Apparently, they had left on their own volition, since I seriously doubt that anyone had asked them to leave.

What can we learn about the Progressive Left from my slice of life in the ‘hood?

1. Progressives have endless compassion for the down-on-their-luck, but none for the victims. The rule of law, e.g. trespassing, was not a blip on anyone’s radar. (The prophetic, Ayn Rand, warned us 50 years ago that a country is headed into tyranny when perpetuators are protected, while victims are brushed aside.)

2. The liberal masses are so brainwashed that they will sacrifice their own health and safety to march to the progressive drummer. Tragically, in Blue Areas, it’s women and children last.

3. And finally: Count your lucky stars if you are a woman who actually lives in Bismarck (or Des Moines, Omaha, Chattanooga, etc. etc.)


Robin of Berkeley

Robin is a recovering liberal, and a licensed psychotherapist who lives in Berkeley, California. The above information is intended for entertainment and educational purposes, rather than to offer any kind of definitive diagnoses.
Visit Robin’s blog.

_______________________________________________________________________
NOTE: To share or email this 'Specific' article, you must click on the Title of the article.

No comments: